Thursday, October 1, 2015

Chili con carne - texan style (mostly)

I am listening to a nice audio book called "Texas Cooking" right now that gave me the idea to try a Texan recipe. First thing which comes to mind: Chili con carne, of course. I found a really nice recipe on another blog and was amazed how many types of chili there are. Of course I couldn't find the chipotle in one of our stores, so I had to cheat a bit. The chipotle would be a smoked jalapeno which gives this special flavor to the dish. I didn't want to buy any of those bottles in the supermarket, nor liquid smoke, so I used smoked bacon instead. 
Here are the ingredients I used:
1 diced onion
Beef, cut in small pieces - about 1 pound
Minced beef - about 1 pound
Smoked bacon - about 1cup
All different kinds of chilies, I only had the two types you see below
half a glass of beer
1 can of diced tomatoes
Spices:
My special homemade spicer in the glass made of garlic, almonds, white wine, bread crumbs, olive oil and sea salt
coriander
clove (just 1!)
cumin
1 tablespoon of cocoa

I took the original Texan recipe as an inspiration, so don't tell it to any Texans, as I understood, they usually don't put beans in it (which I didn't) and neither tomatoes (which I did).
Next time I would put more spices and add diffent kinds of chili, hopefully also the chipotle.
By the way, sorry for the pictures, they really are not much, hopefully I will make better ones!





No comments:

Post a Comment