Friday, June 26, 2015

Leftovers

When I had a look at the posts I made already, I noticed that one of the words I use a lot is the word "leftover". In fact, I you cook every day, something remains and there are different ways to handle it. 1. Throw it away (not an option if it is good)
2. Freeze it ( alright if it can be frozen and you have the capacity)
3. Continue to eat until everything is consumed, even if you have to force yourself (not an option)
4. Try to use it in a different way the next day.

Number 4 is the one which will stimulate your fantasy. No number of recipes you can read can cover all the combinations you can come up with if you look in your fridge and your garden, adding something bought in order to create a perfectly new menu.  Maybe next time the dish won't be exactly the same because you don't have this leftover banana or roasted pumpkin but hey - otherwise you might never have tasted it in the first place.

In a place where I worked, the cook told me that many of the guests were asking again and again for this great horseradish cream soup they once had there. The reason - which he couldn't tell them - was simply the fact that he had made a blending of three different dishes the day before. So - he told me - practically we would have to make the identical menus, have leftovers in the same quantities for making this soup the next day. It just won't happen!

If you remember the old days when your grandmother cooked, this is the way dishes were made then and (I hope it for you) everybody can recall the scent of a stew which had been cooking for hours in the morning.
So one of the important things in cooking might be this: Don't use anything your grandmother didn't know. At least I go along with this for anything like processed food. Exotic fruit and vegetables which weren't sold here then, are an exception for me. It is even more interesting to immerse in old cook books and read about herbs and wild vegetables used in former times.






No comments:

Post a Comment